Newark car hire information
Newark car rental reviews and directory
Newark car rental locations
When to book a hire car in Newark
Top tips for renting a car in Newark
- Newark, New Jersey is a short drive to many other states including New York, Pennsylvania, and Connecticut. If you rent a car, you’ll be able to see so much more while on vacation. Spend a day or two in New York City then make a day trip to New Canaan, Connecticut to tour the Glass House or Bethlehem, Pennsylvania for some casino fun.
- Flying into Newark offers easy access to numerous cities including Trenton, Long Island, Hoboken, and New York City. At Newark Liberty International Airport you’ll find it easy to rent a car. Depending upon what company you use, you can get to the hire desk at Station P2 or P3.
- During your stay, you’ll find yourself frequenting the New Jersey Turnpike to get to numerous destinations including Hackensack and Ridgefield Park. Nevertheless, the turnpike can get really busy. If traveling north on the turnpike, consider taking the I-295 instead. It will be less hectic and lets you avoid the tolls, plus you can also get back on the turnpike from here if needed.
- Traffic in Newark can be quite heavy during the daily commute. Newark’s rush hour is most busy from 7 a.m. to 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. During this time the NJ Turnpike and Garden State Parkway become especially congested. Before you leave the hotel you should listen to the traffic report to learn about accidents or construction projects. Alternative routes are also suggested.
- Book your rental car in Newark at least 6 days before your trip in order to get a below-average price
- Economy rental cars in Newark are around 6% cheaper than other car types, on average
FAQs about hiring a car in Newark
What is the cheapest car rental company in Newark?
What is the best rental car company in Newark?
Which car rental companies are at the airport: John F Kennedy Intl Airport (JFK)?
Which car rental companies are at the airport: LaGuardia Airport (LGA)?
Which car rental companies will pick you up at the airport: John F Kennedy Intl Airport (JFK)?
Which car rental companies will pick you up at the airport: Newark Airport (EWR)?
Which car rental companies will pick you up at the airport: LaGuardia Airport (LGA)?
What is the cheapest car hire location in Newark?
In the last 72 hours the cheapest hire car price was found at Sixt 20 Morris Street 10006-2901 (14 kilometres from the city centre).
How can I find car rentals near me in Newark?
Take a look at our extensive car rental location map to find the best rental cars near you.
How much does a Economy car rental cost in Newark?
A Economy car rental in Newark costs S$ 96 per day, on average.
How much does a Luxury car rental cost in Newark?
A Luxury car rental in Newark costs S$ 113 per day, on average.
What type of car is recommended for driving in Newark?
Newark enjoys four distinct seasons – winter, spring, summer, and fall. So if you are visiting for the Christmas or New Year’s holiday, you might experience lots of snow. Therefore, an SUV might be best to get you through the snowy conditions. Other times of the year, a smart or compact car might be best when visiting Newark because of parking limitations. Simply put, a smaller car can more easily fit into a tight parking spot on the street.
What's the speed limit in Newark?
The speed limit is 65 mph on both the Garden State Parkway and the NJ Turnpike. However, if you are traveling through residential neighborhoods, New Jersey law requires that you slow down to 25-35 mph, depending upon the zoning. Around the downtown area the speed limit is 30 mph. Watch for signs to avoid getting a speeding ticket.
How are gas prices in Newark?
Fuel prices in Newark, NJ range from 2.40 euros ($2.70) for regular petrol to 2.90 euros ($3.30) per gallon for premium gas. This is slightly higher than the national average partially due to the increase in the New Jersey petrol tax. During Christmas and other holidays petrol prices tend to rise.
Where are the best places to park in Newark?
Because downtown Newark can be so busy, parking can be difficult to find. If you know when you are going to be in the area, you can reserve your space in a parking garage or lot ahead of time. This can be done through a variety of mobile apps like SpotHero or Parking Panda.